Indian Republic Day honors the date on which the Constitution of India came into force on 26 January 1950 replacing the Government of India Act (1935) as the governing document of India. The Constitution was adopted by the India Constituent Assembly on 26 November 1949, and came into effect on 26 January 1950 with a democratic government system, completing the country's transition toward becoming an independent republic. 26 January was selected for this purpose because it was this day in 1930 when the Declaration of Indian Independence (Purna Swaraj) was proclaimed by the Indian National Congress.
CISE celebrates the Indian Republic Day along with members of Affiliate associations. In the recent past, it has been typically held on the first Sunday of February in the Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium. The event includes cultural program, messages from dignitaries, and presentation of academic excellence awards to meritorious students.
COUNCIL OF INDIA SOCIETIES OF EDMONTON
INDIA DAY – AWARD GUIDELINES- 2021
India Day Virtual Celebration
AWARDS CATEGORIES AND ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
1. ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE AWARD
Students, who have maintained 80% or more in all four (4) core subjects (Language Arts, Social Studies, Mathematics and Science) in each of the past three academic years (2018, 2019 and 2020) are eligible for this award.
Copy of the Transcripts for the past 3 years must be provided.
2. DISTINCTIVE ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
A student who has won distinction (1st, 2nd or 3rd prize) in Music, Drama, Debate, Mathematics and Science competition, Arts, Athletics, or any other extra-curricular field is eligible. The distinction must have been won in an open competition and must be at the municipal, provincial, or national level. Regular graduation from an institution or the obtaining of a high grade in itself, in any one of these fields will not be considered sufficient for this award. Kumon and other equivalent will not be considered for the distinctive achievement.
Copy of the certificate/award/prize and June 2020 transcript must be provided.
3. CISE EXEMPLARY CITIZENSHIP AWARD
A student of Junior High or Senior High who has i) displayed good citizenship, ii) done exemplary community services and iii) obtained an average of at least 80% or more in all four (4) core subjects (Language Arts, Social Studies, Mathematics and Science), are eligible. The details of the community service and citizenship demonstrated duly supported by testimonials from recipient institutions and other should accompany the application.
Copy of the June 2020 transcript and Proof of Community services must be provided.
4. NOMINATION FOR CISE SPECIAL RECOGNITION AWARD
Nominations are being sought for this special award. A nominee must be 18 years of age or older, and be an Alberta resident for at least the past 3 years. A nominee must have exhibited positive impact to the Indo-Canadian community, and have shown excellence in any field of human endeavor. This may include, but not limited to (i) Community service, (ii) Research/Innovation, (iii) Performing Arts, and (iv) Sports.
Any relevant documents in support of the Award Nomination should be provided.
- Please read the INDIA DAY – AWARD GUIDELINES- 2021 for the awards categories and eligibility criteria before completing the application. Furnish copies of transcript/report card and other documents. Incomplete application without proper supporting documents will NOT be considered. DO NOT send originals.
- For any of the above awards, except the CISE special recognition award, the candidate must be: i) a full time student, ii) from the East Indian community, and iii) a resident of Alberta in the region north of Red Deer.
- Please fill out a separate application, if you are applying for more than one award.
- Completed applications (with supporting documentation) must be received by the Council of India Societies of Edmonton before 5:00 pm, January 10th, 2021.
- The application can be submitted ONLINE only so visit CISE website for the online submission procedure. Due to COVID no paper applications will be accepted. Please DO NOT post mail or drop your application in the CISE mail box. E‐mail applications will not be accepted or considered.
- Since adjusted grading system has been implemented by EPSB due to the current COVID situation, there will be NO academic honours award category this year.
- CISE special recognition award is for ADULTS only.
- Award certificates will be mailed to your address after the virtual event.
- Award Committee’s decision will be final and binding.